- Under construction -
Between 2006 and 2013 I opened several new skitouring lines in the area of Mkinvartsveri (aka "Kazbek", 5047m) in the Georgian Caucasus. In 2018 finally, a modern mountain hut opened that offers a suited base for repeating some of these lines in a guided program - the AltiHut. Based a 3014m, it offers a clean, environmentally-friendly and sustainable way to spend the night and rest.
This guided tour takes aims at skiing on Mkinvartsveri and Maili-Khok (4600m), skiing along what is called the “Road of Dreams”. We chose a late period in the season, to have more stable weather and the snow stability required for routes away from the standard routes. I have had the most successful ski week in the area during this time period.
Two ACMG (Assoc. of Canadian Mountain Guides), incl. myself, will guide this trip. We are limiting the trip to 4 guests, for a guest : ration of 2:1. This maximizes safety and route options. Several routes require glacier travel in crevassed terrain or use of rope.
This trip is for strong, experienced ski tourers.
- Day 1 (May 25): Meet in Stepantsminda, check gear, rest, eat local food. Stay in a local, simple but clean guest house.
- Day 2: Hike up to Altihut (2200m - 3104m). Horses will help to carry luggage. We may have to carry skis a bit.
- Day 3: Skitour around the hut to acclimatize
- Day 4: Ascent to a high camp at 4000m and some skiing around camp. Stay in tents.
- Day 5: Ski ascent of Maili-Khok (4600m), travel with skis along the “road of dreams”, with stunning views to Mkinvartsveri. Generally mellow terrain, but the summit ridge may require short-roping. Very few people have skied this summit! Back to the tents.
- Day 6: Attempt Mkinvartveri (5047m) summit. Ski descent via the south flank if conditions allow.
- Day 7: Spare day of more skiing.
- Day 8: Descent (or more skiing)
Note that the program is subject to changes depending on weather.
Program costs: 2050 EUR/person. This includes guides, transport from/to Tbilisi, accommodation in Stepantsminda, Altihut and tents, use of tents, all meals.
Transport from Tbilisi is included. We will leave Tbilisi around noon on 25 June, so it recommended to arrive in Tbilisi the day before or in the morning of 25.
Gear list will follow upon expressing interest. For booking or more information please >> contact me